Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Testing the Grill






I have been fasting on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays for Lent, which means I am only eating one meal a day. By the time I got home today, I was very very hungry and I didn't want to spend a lot of time cooking. Fortunately, we had decided to get supplies to make panini when we went grocery shopping earlier this week. So I took some of the whole grain rolls I made over the weekend, some salami, prociutto, and asiago cheese, cobbled together some sandwiches, and took the new grill for a test drive.

The rolls I made are really almost ball-shaped and the first couple sandwhiches I made were too tall. When I pressed them down they started sliding apart. So for the next group, I sliced a round about 1/4 inch from the middle of the roll. That worked perfectly, but what to do with the leftover rounds? I brushed them with olive oil and made tiny crostini while I assembled the rest of the sandwiches. They would be perfect for bruscetta in the summer! Overall, the sandwiches turned out well. I had forgotten to add salt to the dough when I made the rolls, so they have almost a sweeter taste. I thought they were kind of bland on their own, but with the meat and cheese, the contrasts turned out to be delicious!

No comments: