Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Cross your fingers

Matt and I are putting in an offer on a house today! It's not perfect, but it's got the bones to be great with some work. The location's good (close to family, close to church) and the condition is good enough to move it. Some RE Broker bought the house, did pretty much only cosmetic renovations, and threw it on the market. The cosmetics are okay. Everything's neutral, bland, and lower end materials, and there are few things like badly supported porches and only one zone to the heating system that we'll be able to use as negotiating points to bring the price down. Then over time we'll upgrade as needed.

Soooooo, prayers please. We're hoping to get it for 160, which is much lower than the ask price. We'll see what happens!

As for my dad, he is in the hospital right now. Monday morning he woke up with a racing heartbeat, sweaty and vomiting. They went to the emergency room where he was admitted, and they stopped and restarted his heart a few times to try to get it to a normal rhythm but they weren't actually able to get him stable until yesterday. We don't know if it's detox or something else. The psychiatrist said that before he had not thought that dad's problem was as bad as it is, which I guess effectively demonstrates that alcoholics are really good at fooling people.

They are keeping him in the hospital to do a full evaluation, both physical and psychological. I am really hoping that they will finally admit him to a residential treatment program, but I guess last night the doctor mentioned a day program in Nashua to my mom. At least with the full evaluation we will finally know how much of the change in personality over the past 3 months has been due to drinking, how much may be to due to Alzheimer's and how much might be due to him having another TIA which went unobserved and untreated.

My biggest fear is that he will actually drink himself to death. I didn't realize how fragile he is physically, but my older sister was able to explain a lot about how the alcoholism is eroding his body. I hadn't thought about malnutrition due to drinking his meals, and Jules also said that the cardiac and blood pressure meds he is on are impacted by blood alcohol level, if he's even remembering to take them. That's on top of what I already knew about the effects that it has on the liver and brain.

So cross your fingers and pray for my dad, too. I'll keep you updated.


No comments: