Friday, April 17, 2009

TGIF

3 more weekends left to get things done and I am beginning to think it's just not enough time.

Tomorrow, Matt and I are helping Amy and Joe move into their awesome new house. I am really looking forward to hanging out with them in their backyard this summer, grilling, swimming, and just spending time relaxing with them. Sunday, I am singing with Martin Doman and Alicia Hernon at the Boston Catholic Women's Conference all day, and when I get home I have an appointment with my sister's friend, Lindsay, to do a trial run on my hair for the wedding day. This is kind of what I'm thinking of:
Which means I need to get the veil finished before then. Which means I'll need to work on it tomorrow night. And I'm looking at my nails as I type this and I am realizing that they are simply not going have enough time to grow to a beautiful length before the wedding. I need to color my hair. I need to get the apartment cleaned up and reorganized. I need to figure out what I'm bringing to Bermuda and get laundry done and write out the place cards and sort out the centerpieces...

It's funny, the fantasies we have a hard time letting go of. I never believed in any kind of daydreams about the knight in shining armor or anything like that. But there was always some part of me that expected that I would be able to prepare for my wedding in a measured, relaxed, "I've got everything together" kind of way. I expected to have time to groom. I expected to have gotten myself in better physical shape. I imagined time before my wedding to spend time with friends and my family. I pictured myself more... prepared. And I am having a really hard time to let go of those expectations.

So right now I'm prioritizing. First things first, Matt and I are spending time every night praying. Right now we're doing a novena to the Holy Spirit, and when we finish the novena we'll pray a rosary every night. Then comes the things that are necessary to the wedding and reception - place cards, programs, getting the veil finished, etc. Then the time with family and friends, things like helping Amy and Joe, helping Alli move next weekend, etc. Finally, the grooming, the coloring of the hair and the manicuring and facials and obsessing about all the physical imperfections I wish I had time to fix but I need to let go. That's the plan.

No comments: