Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Update on the dress

Last night I went to the bridal shop and met with the store owner about my dress. I am sort of semi-satisfied with the solution. As soon as I got there, she told me that she has already ordered a new dress and is having it rush shipped, and it should be here in two weeks. She ordered it two sizes larger, so that we don't have to worry about the seam allowances being clipped, and I am of course not paying for any of this.

BUT she absolutely didn't take any responsibility for the screw up, and when she measured me she deliberately made the tape measure ridiculously slack around the bust and measured my waist about 2 inches above the natural waist so that she wouldn't have to admit that they screwed up the measurements. I thought about it protesting this, but ultimately it would have come down to me telling her she was measuring wrong and her saying no no, this was right. No good. So while I'm glad the dress will be corrected, I'm not happy with the attitude it was done with.

This weekend Matt and I unexpectedly wound up taking care of my niece and nephew on Sunday night, because my brother and sister-in-law had miscommunicated about each other's schedules. Before Joanne went out, Zack was talking with us about the wedding, and he was so adorable! First he was asking me about wearing a big dress, and then Joanne was saying that he has a special outfit, too. Then he turned to Joanne and said "Mommy, when can I get married?" Joanne said not for a long time, "Not until you're 25."

Then he asked "Who can I marry?" and Joanne said she didn't know, he may not know them yet. That looked like it scared him, and he thought about it some more. "Um, Mommy, you're a girl. I can marry you?"

"Well Zacky," Joanne said, "You don't marry someone who's in your family. You marry someone who is your best friend." Zack thought for a moment and then his face broke into a huge smile. "I can marry Ireland!"

Matt and I were looking at each other and grinning stupid grins. I remember having that conversation with my mom when I was young, about marrying my best friend. When I was a teenager, that seemed kind of boring. My best male friends were definitely strictly platonic - no attraction at all - and the guys I was interested in weren't necessarily ones with whom I could picture just hanging out with on a weekend, playing games, reading books, or watching TV. And while I knew in my head that I should marry someone with whom I was good friends, I couldn't seem to get the two pieces of romance and friendship to line up in anyone I met. Even in college, when things came closer to the mark, it seemed like the dating experiences I had were only glancing blows against this ideal - I might find someone I was attracted to that I could hang out with and play with, but our interests were so divergent that we ran out of things to talk about soon. And I had friendships that I tried to pursuade myself should be something more, but I couldn't seem to find the attraction, that desire to be snuggled up and close that I knew was also necessary.

Now, Matt's company is what I prefer above almost everything. I can't wait to tell him what's going on in my day, good or bad. I want to know what he thinks about everything (well, almost everything). I want to share all kinds of experiences with him, and I really and truly cannot wait for the day when we are in the same house. Coming home to him, waking up and telling him right away about this crazy dream I had before it fades, working together to clean the apartment, going on vacation together, I am looking forward to these things so much. Yes, the desire and romance is part of it, but if one were to weigh that on a scale which measured what I'm looking forward to, more and more it seems that the friendship, the partnership that comes from living in the same house and taking on everything from family crisis to bills to dinnertime as a team is carrying equal or even more of the weight.

32 more days.

No comments: