Saturday, April 17, 2010

Fancy-ish Cooking


Now that all the redecorating is done, I finally was able to get onto the projects I really enjoy. I love to cook, and the more complicate and challenging, usually the better. So I decided to try my hand at making macarons.

Macarons are technically challenging cookies composed of ground almonds, sugar, egg whites and flavoring. They are difficult to make because they involve a few different techniques and they tend to be sensitive to things like overbeating, humidity, cooking times, etc. I was prepared to have this first attempt be more of a learning experience than anything else, but I was pleasantly surprised to have them turn out perfectly on the first try.

I decided to make espresso flavored macarons with Nutella filling. Really, any time I can find a way to work in Nutella, it's a good recipe. I was happy to find the ground almond flour in the natural foods section of the local grocery store, and I had instant espresso powder left over from the perfect coffee ice cream last year. I'd done a ton of research on various recipes, and I wound up using this one from Tartlette, mainly because the measurements were given in weight, unlike other recipes I'd seen which gave them in volume. Since macarons are a careful balance, I figured that the weight measures would help to make it more precise.

Funny thing about these macarons is, they kind of look like hamburgers once they're filled. I made them for a cookout we're having today, so it's kind of appropriate. I made the macarons according to the instructions, piping them in 2cm discs on the parchment. I guess I thought they'd spread more. But they didn't, which means these little babies can be popped into your mouth in just one bite. I mentioned to Matt that I will make them larger next time, but he disagreed, saying they were perfect the size they were.



Last night I also made quiche for dinner, because I had those egg yolks leftover from the macarons. Matt's not a big fan of quiche, but every once it while I make it because I love quiche. I started with a recipe from another food blog, but by the time I was done I wound up making so many tweeks that it's not really that recipe any more.
Quiche with Spinach, Asparagus, Red Pepper, and Bacon
1 ready to bake pastry crust
4 slices of bacon
10 asparagus spears, trimmed and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1 small onion, diced
4 oz baby spinach
1/4 tsp thyme
3 eggs + 2 egg yolks
1/2 cup milk
2 tbsp sour cream
dash nutmeg
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
Salt & pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 350. Place crust in pie pan and refrigerate. Cook bacon in a saute pan over medium heat until crisp and fat is rendered. Remove from pan and place on paper towels to drain. Add asparagus, bell pepper, and onion to pan with bacon fat and saute until onion turns translucent. Add spinach and thyme and saute until spinach wilts. Set pan aside and allow mixture to cool thoroughly. In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together all remaining ingredients. Crumble the bacon and scatter on crust. Add the vegetable mixture. Pour egg mixture over the vegetables, using a wooden spoon to completely cover the vegetables with the eggs. Bake for 40-50 minutes, until custard is completely set. Allow to cool 10 minutes before slicing.

No comments: