Monday, January 19, 2009

Ouch My Head

Yesterday we got a TON of snow.

I'll post pictures of it later on today, because it really is very pretty, but it was a lot of shovelling. Praise God, Guy St. Germain had delivered the repaired snowblower with a newly installed electric starter, so we were able to use that the clear a good portion of the driveways and chew up the big snowbanks at the end of the driveway. It's a beast, and very tempermental. Ask it to take on a larger heavier pile of snow in the wrong gear and it will sputter and sulk and only throw the snow a foot away from where it started. With patience, though I was able to clear a path to the garbage bins on the side of the house. The last snow had frozen into an icey pile before I was able to get to it and putting the garbage out has been difficult. The snow blower threw the new snow and sort of cleared out the icy snow underneath, at least well enough to get the bins open.

By the time we were done clearing the snow it was about 3:30 and we were both starving. We made breakfast for lunch - scrambled eggs with cheese, multicolored peppers and turkey sausage - and watched cartoon network for a bit. I was starting to get a headache but I attributed it to being so hungry and working outside in the cold, so I wasn't too worried. Matt took a nap while I washed dishes and turned the laundry over, then we put in a new game (yes, we play lot of video games) and played for a few hours.

I don't know if it was the game play or if it was coming and would have come anyway, but by 7:30 or so I was dealing with a migraine so bad that it was turning my stomach and making the roots of my hair hurt. That may sound like an exaggeration, but I promise I'm not being dramatic. I get migraines at least once a month, and they come in two types. The more common ones are "complicated migraines" and I definitely prefer getting those. Half the time, they don't even hurt, they just make my head or extremities tingle and go numb. The other type, cluster headaches, are from the devil. They come on in a wave and just when I begin to think that it might be better to just cut off that side of my head they start to recede and I think that it might be over. That's the part I hate the most about them. They might come on in one wave and then be over. They might come in wave after wave for an entire day. There's no way to predict when they'll come, how intense they'll be, or how long they'll stay. Yesterday was pretty bad. .

Matt was so sweet, so wonderful in this. I don't think he's ever seen me with it this bad before. He rubbed my neck and shoulders, gave me a scalp massage, and held me while I took a nap to try to sleep it off. The headache didn't go away but it was so comforting to be held and taken care of in the middle of it. I kept apologizing to him because it was a good two hours of simply laying there, no TV, no stereo, nothing to do to occupy him and I am guessing it was pretty boring, but he told me to stop apologizing. "It's not about me, it's about you. I want to be here to help you feel better." Then around 11:10 we realized that we had taken my car after church and because of the snow emergency and there being no parking on the street, I would have to drive him home instead of just letting him take my car. >,< .

He did a lot of shovelling yesterday, and I know his back was hurting and he probably would have preferred for me not to have a headache, for us to snuggle up and watch a movie or talk and joke and laugh. That he was more than okay with not doing any of those things, with just sitting there and holding me, reminds me what a good man it is that I am marrying. I am so grateful to God that he brought us together, that I will have my whole life to show him love in that way, to hold each other when we're sick or sad or tired. .

110 more days until he doesn't have to go home.

5 comments:

k's mama said...

yikes. Have you tried different meds for the migraines???
I got some pretty bad headaches when I was pregnant but nothing close to that.
ahh enjoy that totally focused on each other dating time... it changes a bit when you get married and have babies... I know when we were engaged we just longed to be married- and marriage is great most of the time but sometimes I miss that engagment period when you are so into each other. There is lots more to fight about after you get married!!! :o)

MK said...

I've tried a few. I take a decongestant daily because it seems like they are worse when my sinuses are blocked. Other than that, only pain meds, nothing to actually stop the migrains. Cluster headaches are so rare, there aren't a lot of therapies out there for them.

Welcome to My World said...

is it just me, or did your words get smaller toward the end of that post?

MK said...

I know! I don't know what's going on with the formatting on this. I'll try to fix it later.

Melanie Bettinelli said...

This post filled me with nostalgia for that engagement period. I remember counting down the days till I didn't have to go home at the end of the day.