Tuesday, January 20, 2009

snow pictures, 100 calorie packs

Going through the cabinets Monday looking for something sweet, I came across half a bag of mini marshmallows. I noticed that the calorie count on them was 100 for 2/3 of a cup and thought to myself "Self, you spend a lot of money on 100-calorie packs of hostess cupcakes and mini rice cakes drizzled with chocolate." "Me," I said,"you're right." And for me, it's not necessarily the chocolate cravings as much as the sweet cravings which have me scrounging for change in my purse and browsing the candy machines at work. Candy from the machine each day gets hard on the wallet and the waist, though, and so I've tried to do thinks like bring sweet snacks and leave all cash at home.

Throwing mini-marshmallows in a baggie was simple, and when the sugar cravings hit at work yesterday they were easily dispelled. All of this mindful eating should lead to a more healthy me, but it doesn't really work that way. I eat food and manage fat and calories the way some people budget money. I save up to be able to eat what I want later on. I will eat all kinds of low calorie or no calorie foods so that at the end of the day I can have homemade ice cream. Which doesn't always work out the way it should. Because I don't care how "healthy" I am all day long, in the end I'm not budgeting enough to make a bacon cheeseburger and a coffee shake okay.

Or buffalo wings and french fries. Which is what we had last night along with steamed artichokes while we watched Wall-E. Matt had never tried artichokes before, only artichoke hearts, and I don't think he was as into them as I was. That's okay. That means whenever I make them, I'll get to have them all to myself. I love artichokes, love peeling off the leaves and dipping them in lemon butter and working my way in to the really tender leaves at the center. Mmmm.

Last night we also got Matt a membership at Planet Fitness, where I have a membership but haven't gone in forever. I know that I need to work out more and with Matt's diabetes, exercise is the best thing for him too. In the summer we would take long walks but with the winter we seem to either watch movies or play video games and never get any exercise except for shovelling.

Speaking of, here are the promised snow pics:


No comments: