Friday, January 23, 2009

Why are our weekends always so busy?

I don't know, maybe it's unrealistic to hope that after we're married we'll be less busy. It seems like every weekend we have things to do from first thing in the morning to last thing at night. It's all stuff we want to do, but there are just so many things...

Take this weekend, for example. Beginning at 9 on Saturday, I have a memorial service to go to, then there is a talk on the book Captivating at church. I have a wedding to sing for at 1pm. Then Mom has invited us to go down to her house to celebrate Rain's birthday (Jan 19th) and Matt's birthday (Jan 30th). I am hoping that we'll have a few hours that's just us toward the end of the night. Then Sunday is filled up with church and a special sort of mini-conference on St Paul and Youth group.

And it's not like there's any particular thing I was hoping to do that we're not doing; I had been thinking it might be nice to go see the Curious Case of Benjamin Button, but that wasn't high on my list of priorities. I just wish that our weekends had more breathing room in them. But it makes me realize that all of the things that I willingly committed to now have to be sorted and prioritized against Matt's stuff too. My family's plans and his family's plans and time spent with each other all get bumped ahead of going shopping with friends from online forums and goofing around with different crafts or watching badly written TV shows.

I wonder if I'm naive; part of me is expecting to be able to do some of that stuff again once we're married and living in the same house. Right now when I'm at home in the evening, I don't want to start any crafts because I know that soon he'll get out of work and I will be going to his place. And between his family's stuff and mine, we haven't had a free Saturday to go shopping in months. I hope that once we're married and before we have kids, we can have a little time to just do stupid things like that.

Yeah, I'm probably dumb.

2 comments:

k's mama said...

yeah definately dumb. It only gets worse after you are married!!! You get more responsibilites... and more stuff you gotta do and its not stuff you can do together.. work stuff thats not for spouses... Men of St Joseph... etc etc. Ya know how Fr. Marc says you should take a date night every week..... its more like once every couple months you actually get to go out just the 2 of you and do something... you get to see each other more since you live together but the quality time you spend hanging out or whatever is not the same!!!!!! I miss hanging out with my husband!!!
Then you start saying no to things just so you can have time to hang out together and people start getting mad.. aka family members!

Melanie Bettinelli said...

I don't know, I don't think it's dumb at all. In some ways I do have more time for crafts now that we're not dating anymore. There's more afternoons and evenings when he's doing his thing and I'm doing mine. Not a lot, but more freedom to just be and not a need to do stuff. Of course it also helps that in our new house I've got a craft table where I can just leave stuff out. Not having to get it out and put it away means I can snatch small bits of time during kids' naps.